Pevsner and the Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent
 

Outer Fenton

[NOTE: all of the building referred to by Pevsner in outer Fenton have sadly been demolished]


next: Inner Hanley (churches)
previous
: Inner Fenton
 

St Michael, Victoria Road (N). 1887 by Lewis & Son.


The rest is pottery matters.....

In City Road at its E end a factory of nine bays with the usual central archway, the Venetian window over, and the broken top pediment.


N of King Street, by Park Lane, two of the now rare bottle-shaped kilns growing out of the roof of the building.
 


In King Street also the former Foley Potteries. Two ranges with the same central motifs. One of eight bays, the other symmetrical of thirteen.


The Foley Potteries
Built around 1827 by landowner John Smith
Photo - 1961 Potworks -the Industrial Architecture of the Staffordshire Potteries

Demolished in 1983


Opposite Foley works housing, c.1830 or 1840, classical in character.




next: Inner Hanley
previous
: Inner Fenton