All Saints, Leek Road (SE). By
Gerald Horsley, 1910-13. Brick, without a tower. The S aisle
has not yet been built. Clerestory and aisle windows differ, not only
in pattern, but also in style - i.e. 1910 carried its antiquarian
Picturesque NE vestry. An open-air pulpit on the W wall of the nave.
Impressively high interior with boldly wide chancel arch. Nice
openings from chancel to N chapel.
All Saints Church, Joiners Square
Gothic Revival style. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and
plain tile roof with coped gables. Chancel with organ chamber,
north chapel and vestry, nave with arcades and clerestory, north
aisle. Windows are mainly pointed arched lancets with stone
St. Jude, College Road (SW).
1898-1901 by R. Scrivener & Son. Large, of brick, without a
tower, but with facade turrets. Polygonal S baptistery.
Photo of St. Jude
Church and Rev R. A. Lord
from St. Jude's Parish
magazine of April 1958
- church now
St Luke Street (ESE). 1852-4 by H. Ward & Son.
The parish church of Wellington is St. Luke's, which was
erected in 1854. It is an imposing structure in the Early English
style, comprising chancel, nave, north aisle, and north and west
porch, the latter having been added in 1878; there is also an
incomplete tower. In 1847 an organ chamber was built, and an organ
introduced, the church at the same time being reseated at a cost of
£900. The church contains a handsome stained glass window, erected
in 1878 to the memory of Bishop Selwyn. In 1887 a new reredos was
introduced. There are 800 sittings, 477 being free.
[from: A descriptive account of
The Potteries (illustrated) 1893 advertising and trade journal.]
St Mark, Snow Hill (S). Another of the large
Commissioners' churches built about 1830 outside the centres of the
growing pottery towns. 1831-3 by J. Oates. W tower with thin
steep doorway and large lancet bell-openings. Nave with lancets, thin
buttresses, and battlements. The church cost nearly £10,000.
The polygonal chancel is by Scrivener, 1868. Interior with
galleries. - REREDOS. Three large terracotta reliefs by George
St. Mark's Church, Shelton, Hanley
Collage Road, Wood Terrace, Fletcher Street
photos - 2000
St. Mark's church stands on
a prominent site in Shelton and its 120 foot (36.5 metre) tower is a
landmark for miles around.
on St. Mark's
St. Matthew, Etruria (W). 1848-9
by H. Ward & Son, a commissioners' church. Only part remaining.
The Church of St. Matthew, Etruria
taken 1948 by E.J.D. Warrillow
- now demolished -
Holy Trinity, Lower Mayer Street (NE). 1848-9
by J. Trubshaw. Yet another commissioners' church (price
N steeple with broach-spire. Paired lancets, short chancel.
Church of the Holy
Lower Mayer Street, Northwood, Hanley
on Church of the Holy