Pevsner and the Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent
 

Outer Longton


next: more on outer Longton
previous
: more on inner Longton
 

Holy Evangelists, Belgrave Road (SE). 1847 by George Gilbert Scott at the expense of the Duke of Sutherland (cf. Trentham). The N aisle 1891-2 by John Lewis. Not a masterpiece. Middle Pointed with a S aisle with small one-light windows. No tower. - plate. Chalice of 1781 by William Bell.

The Church of the Holy Evangelists, Normacot
The Church of the Holy Evangelists, Normacot
photo -2006

on Normacot


St. James the Less, Uttoxeter Road (SE). 1832-4 by T. Johnson. A large Commissioner's church which cost over 1,000. W tower, chancel and nave in one, six bays, clerestory. Short chancel and polygonal apse. -  stained glass. The E window by Capronnier, 1874. - monument. John Cary 1842. By Baily. The usual kneeling mourning female by an urn, but unusually well done.


The church of St. James-the-Less
The church of St. James-the-Less
photo: 2004 - Eileen Hallam


The church of St. James-the-Less
showing the close proximity of the bottle kilns
photo: c.1950's - Lovatt Collection

on St. James church

 

 


N of the church a bottle kiln

 

 - this kiln has since been demolished -
[see the photo above for the bottle kilns]

 


St. Mary and St. Chad, Anchor Road (NE). 1898 by J. M. Brooks, completed by J. S. Adkins. The baptistery an addition of 1910. A large brick building without a tower. Nave and chancel under one big roof. Small cupola at the W end of the chancel. Small lancets, except for the groups of four W and three E lancets. The brickwork is exposed inside. Tall, impressive chancel arch.

St. Mary and St. Chad, Anchor Road, Longton
St. Mary and St. Chad, Anchor Road, Adderley Green, Longton

photo: c.1900-40 by William Blake
The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery
Staffordshire Past Track

on Anchor Road   
on Adderley Green

 


next: more on outer Longton
previous
: more on inner Longton