Alfred Clough (Ltd)
Alfred Clough Group






 

Location and period of operation:

Alfred Clough Ltd

Longton

c1913

1978

Manufacturer of earthenware and china principally at the  St. Louis Works, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent

  • c1905 Alfred Colough started business as a pottery factor and wholesaler.

  • He then began to decorate plain white earthenware blanks produced by other companies.

  • c1913 Clough started earthenware production himself.  

  • In 1928 he purchased the St. Louis Works in Edensor Road, Longton and moved the decorating and wholesale business there. 

  • Alfred Clough Ltd. was registered in 1935.

  • In 1937 Clough purchased the Royal Art Pottery in Waterloo Street - these works backed onto the St. Louis Works - here he established a new business called 'Alfred Colclough Ltd, Royal Art Pottery'.  


  • January 1954 Alfred Clough Ltd., became a public company listed onthe London Stock Exchange and from this finance was raised for the take over of other established pottery companies - these continued to trade under their own names as members of the 'Alfred Clough Group':

  • 1961 The name of  'Alfred Colclough Ltd, Royal Art Pottery' was changed to 'Clough's Royal Art Pottery


  • 1972 - a controlling share in Alfred Clough Ltd was aquired by Major E. H. Marley who was a senior executive of Staffordshire Potteries (Holdings) Ltd. 

  • Under Marley's management Alfred Clough Ltd continued the acquisition trail: 

  • In 1976 the Clough Group was taken over by Newman Industries

  • In 1978 the name of the Clough Group was changed to Grindley of Stoke (Ceramics) Ltd. 


Source: Handbook of British Pottery Manufacturers 1900-2010; Michael Perry 

 



1947 advert for Alfred Clough Ltd
at this time ware was still produced under the Wartime Concentration Scheme

Pottery Gazette Reference Book 1947 

 


 


earthenware blank decorated by Alfred Clough

courtesy: Stephen Davis


 


Alfred Meakin blank decorated by Alfred Clough  


 


teapot by W H Gindley 
produced after 1960 - bears the mark Alfred Clough and the initials WHG

 


Marks used on ware for identification:

 


Decorated by 
Alfred Clough
St. Louis Works,
Longton

pre-1935 



Decorated by 
Alfred Clough,
St. Louis Works,
Longton

the under stamp is that of
Alfred Meakin
who supplied the blank for decorating

pre-1935 



Alfred Clough Ltd
St. Louis Works,
Longton, England

mark on ware manufacturerd by
Alfred Clough Ltd - post 1935


 


Alfred Clough Ltd
England

The sailboat mark was originally used by W H Grindley
so marks with the sailboat and Alfred Clough will 
be dated post 1960 when Clough took over
Grindley  


 


Satin White
R.T.
Alfred Clough Ltd
England



Satin White
W.H.G.
Alfred Clough Ltd
England



MADISON
Bone White
Ironstone
Alfred Clough Ltd
Stoke-on-Trent
England


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks