Davenport
W Davenport & Co






 

Location and period of operation:

Davenport
W Davenport & Co

Burslem
Longport

1793

1887

and, earthenware, porcelain and Ironstone manufacturer at Longport, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent

  • John Davenport was an apprentice to Thomas Wolfe at Stoke and then worked in partnership with him as a china manufacturer in Liverpool.

  • In 1793 Davenport took over John Brindley's pottery factory at Longport. [James Brindley was a younger brother of James Brindley the canal engineer]

  • In 1801 John Brindley started to make glass as well as pottery

  • John Brindley died c.1830 and the business was continued by his sons Henry and William who extended the works. 

  • When Henry died the business name was changed to W. Davenport & Co. 

  • After William died in 1869 the business was continued by his son Henry (grandson of the original founder John Davenport) until its closure in 1887

 

 

Marks used on ware for identification:

Davenport

impressed mark with or without an anchor
lower case name marks are 1783 to 1810
 


DAVENPORT

impressed mark with or without an anchor
upper case name marks
are post 1805 


DAVENPORTS LTD

marks with "LTD" or "LIMITED" ase c.1881-87 


 

- click for more information on Davenport marks -


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks