Denton China (Longton) Ltd






 

Location and period of operation:

Denton China (Longton) Ltd

Longton

1945

1968

Manufacturer of bone china at Upper Normacot Road and Chaplin Road, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent

  • The business was established by Herbert Lawson who was a former pottery decorator and wholesaler, he lived at "The Croft" Stallington Road, Blythe Bridge, Staffordshire. 

  • After his death in January 1949 the works were continued by Mrs D M Lawson.

  • In December 1968 the business was bought by John Aynsley & Sons Ltd. 

  • In September 1969 the production of Denton china was discontinued by Aynsley.  

  • December 1971 the company was liquidated - a note in The London Gazette states that 'all creditors have been or will be paid in full' 

 


 


Advert - December 1958

Pottery Gazette and Glass Trade Review

 


 

The London Gazette
20th December 1971
 


notice of appointment of liquidator


 

Denton China was predominantly a manufacturer of bone china 'fancies' - floral arrangements, birds, brooches, ear rings, wicker baskets. They also made china Toby Jugs.   



Denton China budgerigars and flowers 

 


Denton China posy 

 


Denton China Toby jug 

 


 

Marks used on ware for identification:

 


Hand Modelled
Best Bone
Denton China
England 

 


Best Bone
Denton China
England 

 



1953 OS map 1:1250
Showing the Denton Works on the corner of Chaplin Road and Upper Normacot Road  

 

 


1953 OS map 1:1250
larger view of the Normacot area of Longton

 


1962-68 OS map 1:1250
Showing that the Denton Works had been expanded to take in
the adjacent bottling works 


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks