Folch (& Sons)
Location and period of operation:
Manufacturer of earthenware, ironstone at the Stoke Works, Church Street, Stoke, Stoke-on-Trent
Stephen Folch was in partnership with Charles Scott until, in 1821, Scott was declared bankrupt. The business traded as Folch & Sons. There are no known marks which include Scott although a 1822 direcotory records 'Folch & Scott' Pigot & Co's 1822/3 Directory of Staffordshire
Charles Scott, late of firm Folch & Scott was recorded as 'drowned, young'. The Staffordshire Advertiser, 14 September 1822s.
By 1829 the business had stopped trading and the works were advertised to let - 'Stoke, 4-oven earthenware manufactory later held by Stephen Folch to let, & utensils & house, apply Duffort, surgeon, Stoke'. The Staffordshire Advertiser, 23 May 1829.
The London Gazette
17 November 1821
notice of the bankruptcy of Charles Scott
former partner of Stephen Folch
Folch blue & white transfer ware plate
Folch tureen, cover and stand
Folch polychrome dinner plates
Folch ironstone plate in the imari style
Marks used on ware for identification:
Improved Ironstone China
The arms are the Royal Coat of Arms and can be dated as pre-1837
For the house of Hanover, there was an escutcheon overall (centre shield). In 1837, the Hanoverian escutcheon and crown were removed because Queen Victoria, as a woman, was unable to succeed to the throne of Hanover under Hanoverian law. The arms have remained unchanged since then.
IMPD IRON STONE CHINA
Folch & Sons
New Cambrian China
Genuine Stone China
Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks