Hall & Co
Location and period of operation:
Hall & Co
Earthenware manufacturer at Tunstall and then Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent
Gater, Hall & Co operated at the New Gordon Pottery in Tunstall from about 1899 to 1907.
The main partners were Thomas Gater and Thomas Hall.
Around 1905 Thomas Gater purchased the Royal Overhouse Pottery in Burslem from Ralph Hammersley and the business moved from here from Tunstall.
In 1916 William Barratt (of King & Barratt) purchased an interest in Gater Hall & Co. Both companies continued to operate untill c.1940 when King & Barrett closed.
Gater Hall & Co remained in production and in 1943 the business, now under the control of William Barratt, was renamed to "Barratt's of Staffordshire Ltd"
Previously: For a short time prior "Thomas Gater & Co" operated the New Gordon Pottery on his own account.
Subsequently: Barratt's of Staffordshire Ltd
milk jug and sugar bowl in the DERBY pattern
blue willow pattern teapot stand dating from c1915.
Made by Gater, Hall & Go. Staffordshire.
Measures 7 x 6 inches.
underneath of stand
gravy boat in the LUXOR pattern
hand painted jug from the 1936+ period
hand painted art deco style jug from the 1936+ period
Marks and initials used on ware for identification:
G H & CO.
the "Corona" name was continued by Barratt's of Staffordshire
G H & Co
'CONTRYSIDE' is the pattern name
'LUXOR' is the pattern name
(date uncertain - but after 1907)
C H & Co
mark of 1914+
(which appears on the Willow Pattern stand shown above)
C H & Co
- the reference to 'Estd 1819
does not apply to Gater Hall & Co
it was not uncommon for companies to use the date of a previous
pottery on the same works -
Gater Hall & Co
Made in England
'DERBY' is the pattern name
click for information on
the Overhouse Works
- click picture for information on the Gordon Pottery -
Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks