Hoods Ltd






 

Location and period of operation:

Hoods Ltd

Fenton

1919

c.1947

Earthenware, China, Crested Ware and industrial ceramic manufacturer at the International Works, King Street, Fenton

  • The company was registered in January 1895, to acquire the business of merchants and manufacturers of Joseph Hood - they operated at International Exchange, Edmund Street, Birmingham, selling household hardware. see: Graces Guide.  

  • In 1919 a pottery business was started in Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent. Hoods named the pottery works - International Works

  • Pottery manufacture ceased c.1947

  • Hoods were a Listed Exhibitor at the 1947 British Industries Fair. Producers of Earthenware Dinner and Tea Ware and Fancies in Hand Painted and Lithograph Patterns of Controlled Design. (Olympia, Ground Floor, Stand No. A.1177) - however they are not listed in the 1947 Pottery Gazette Handbook. It appears that 1947 was the date of closure. 

  • The hardware supply business in Birmingham continued at least until 1951. 

 

 


plate in the 'Indian Tree' pattern 



set of trios in the Vine pattern 


 


China plate, cup and saucer trio 

this set is marked 'TRIOOD China' 

 


 


hand painted side plate

the matching cups are marked 'TRIOOD' 

 


 


serving tray 


 


Mr.Harold Frith built and owned the Elbow Beach Hotel, Bermuda until 1947 when it was sold to John Moore (The same family that owned the Moore Pools in the UK)
This plate was used between 1925 and 1930 as the Carver for the formal dinner service.


Trade Mark
Hoods Ltd
Fenton



 
Crested China Ware

 


TRIOOD 


 

 

Marks and initials used on ware for identification:

H LTD

 

HOODS LTD
FENTON

TRIOOD



Hoods Ltd
Fenton

'VINE' is the pattern name

The Three Hoods registrered trade mark
and the name TRIOOD was also used
in conjunction with the hardware business 



Triood China
Made in England 



Triood China
Made in England


 


Hoods Ltd
Fenton
Stoke-on-Trent



1951 advert for Hoods, Wholesale Distributors, Birmingham

Although the pottery manufacturing had ceased c.1947 the wholesale
distribution business continued in Birminham 

 


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks