William Hulme






 

Location and period of operation:

William Hulme

Cobridge

c.1901 

 

William Hulme
(Leighton Pottery Ltd)

Cobridge

1948 

1954 

Earthenware manufacturer at the Argyle Works, Cobridge, Stoke-on-Trent

  • William Hulme and his son (also William) operated, first the North Road Pottery (from c.1901) and then built the Argyle Works.

  • At some time during the war years, Leighton Pottery Ltd (formerly Bourne & Leigh) became the owners of the Argyle Works together with the William Hulme moulds, designs and patterns.  The business continued under the name William Hulme.

  • Some of the William Hulme designs continued to be manufactured by Leighton Pottery Ltd. when production resumed after the War until 1954, the range of products, especially using the "Princess" pattern was increased. Products designated as "Imperial Porcelain" and "Semi-porcelain" were manufactured with this backstamp or similar.

  • Whilst the name Wm Hulme is to be found on "Imperial Porcelain" and such products, they were made after William Hulme jnr. sold the business to Leighton Pottery Ltd. In general, products manufactured post war have nothing to do with the Hulme family.

  • It is believed that Gem Pottery Ltd of Tunstall (1961-1995) subsequently acquired the moulds and patterns.

 



Wm Hulme - platter in the 'Louis' pattern
this platter has the mark Wm Hulme, North Road
with the registration number 758530 (which dates from 1930)

 

 


Wm Hulme - floral decorated plate
with the crescent/star mark 

 


Wm Hulme platter
with the crescent/star mark 

 


 

Marks used on ware for identification:


Wm HULME
North Road
ENGLAND

the registration number 758530 dates from 1930
'LOUIS' is the pattern name


IMPERIAL
PORCELAIN
Wm HULME
ENGLAND 


Wm HULME
ENGLAND



IMPERIAL
Wm HULME
ENGLAND
PORCELAIN

1948-54 



Wm HULME
ENGLAND

the marks appear with and without "Imperial Porcelain"
even on ware with the same pattern

1948-54 


Information from the Hulme family web site: 

William Hulme (snr. 1860-1932) was born in December 1860. He had children William (b.1889), Mary (b.1892), Charlotte (b.1897), Marion (b.1900) and Joseph (b.1904).

William Hulme snr. had joined his father and brother as Pottery Packers at the age of 12 and subsequently became a Saggar Maker. By the age of 20, his declared occupation was that of a Travelling China Salesman. He formed alliances and partnerships with potters to sell their wares overseas. 

In the last few years of the 19th century, William leased the North Road Pottery at the Leek New Road end of North Road, Cobridge and began manufacturing earthenware. 

In 1901 the family was resident at 2 Abbey Street, Cobridge (100 yards up Leek New Road from North Road) and William declared his occupation as an Earthenware Manufacturer. In a 1907 directory Wm Hulme is listed as an earthenware manufacturer adjacent to the North Road Brick Works. 


1899 map showing Abbey Street 
- click map for more on Abbey Street -

the Brick Works (green rectangle) was the 
North Road Brick Works operated by W. Palmer
on the corner of Leek New Road and Abbey Street was the 
earthenware manufacturer - William Hulme (purple rectangle)  

 


Hulme, Wm., Earthenware manufacturer
North Road Pottery at the corner of Leek New Road 
and Abbey Street, at the junction of North Road
 

from: 1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 
'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'

 



1949 map showing Abbey Street
and the Argyle Pottery 
The Argyle Pottery Works was built on the corner of Leek New Road and Abbey Street
and appears to have replaced the North Road Works




In 1906, William Jnr. joined his father in the Earthenware Manufacturing business. William Jnr took over the running of the business in 1925, registered his well known Hulme Bottle Kiln Trademark and formed a working relationship with Bourne & Leigh.


Argyle Works
all that remains of the Argyle Works is the derelict offices of a business unit

Google Streetview - 2009

 


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks