Pearl Pottery Co
New Pearl Pottery Co
Location and period of operation:
Earthenware manufacturers at the 'Pearl Pottery' in Brook Street, Hanley, Stoke on Trent
Previously the works were operated by Wood and Bennett - the Pearl Pottery Co. took over in July 1892.
The original partners were: George Allen, James Boulton, Stephen Hawthorn, Harry George Coleman, Samuel George Bennett, and George Hassall.
Harry G Coleman retired in December 1892
In 1936 the business was renamed the New Pearl Pottery Co. Ltd. The works closed during the war and the factory was sold in 1947
Note: there was a similar named (unrelated) company "Pearl Pottery (Burslem)"
London Gazette 16th December 1892
Notice of the retirement of Harry George Coleman
|an article on "The
Pearl Pottery Company, Brook Streeet, Hanley" appeared in...
"A descriptive account of The Potteries (illustrated)" and 1893 advertising and trade journal. Page 26
Initials and names used on ware for identification:
PP Co Ltd
PEARL STONE WARE
EDNA BEST ART POTTERY
Printed mark used 1912+
two globes with PPC Co Ltd on a banner
typical art nouveau, tube lined, Cranston Pottery
PP Co Ltd
Edna Best Art Pottery in the art deco style
|Edna Best (1900 - 1974) was a British stage and film actress.
In the 1930's she became involved in the endorsement of Art Deco ceramics made by the Pearl Pottery, Hanley.
The patterns were bold and colourful art deco style no doubt to compete with the polular style of Clarice Cliff. The ranges were produced exclusively for Lawley's of Regent Street in London.
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks