R Sudlow & Sons (Ltd)






 

Location and period of operation:

R Sudlow & Sons (Ltd)

Burslem

1886

1965

 (See sources)

Earthenware Manufacturer, Adelaide Pottery, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent,

  • Robert Sudlow went into partnership with Samuel Gibson and formed the pottery company Gibson, Sudlow & Co. at Bourne's Bank, Burslem in approximately 1874. (The '& Co.' included a Mr Lewis). 

  • In 1884 he formed his own company called Sudlow and Son. At first he continued to operate at Bourne's Bank as sole owner (c.1884 to 1892) while also working the newly built Adelaide Street Works.

  • After the partnership between Gibson and Sudlow was dissolved both of them continued to make teapots in their seperate companies.

  • In the late 1950's Sudlow moved from Adelaide Pottery to works in nearby Moreland Road, Burslem. 

 

Formerly R. Sudlow

 

Marks used on ware for identification:

SUDLOW'S

 

R.SUDLOW & SONS Ltd
BURSLEM

 

 


Marks were simple printed or sponged on
Sudlow's Burslem, Made in England

 

 

 

 


 


Sudlow produced teapots and 'sets' such as the one shown here

 

 

 

 

 


- click picture for more on the
Adelaide Street Works -


- click for more on Adelaide Street -


questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks