& Thomas Bevington
Location and period of operation:
& T Bevington
James and Thomas Bevington - sons of Samuel Bevington . Manufacturers of China and Parian statuettes etc. for home and foreign markets.
After 1876 they continued in their own right:- James Bevington / Thomas Bevington
- they operated three works:-
Marsh Street, Hanley c.1863-1867 (James & Thomas continued these works after the death of their father in 1863)
Burton Place, New Street, Hanley c.1867-76 (see map below)
Cannon Street, Hanley c. 1873-75
more on the Bevington family of potters
Parian Statue by James & Thomas Bevington
1898 OS map showing New Street and Burton Place.
(in the 1950's New Street was renamed Goodson Street)
Burton Place Works
This manufactory was worked by Thomas Bevington (1877-90), whose family had held it since 1862. The productions were china, in
which all the usual useful and ornamental classes of goods were made for the home markets, fancy ivory earthenware, gold-thread
ware, and a patent 'Victorian Ware' in which the surface is covered with felspar crystals, decorated with veins of gold to represent gold-
The mark is the royal arms and BY ROYAL LETTERS PATENT. The ordinary mark is the double triangle, between the initials T.B., enclosing a crown in its centre. Formerly, Parian statuettes and majolica goods were made, but these were discontinued in about 1870. The gold-thread ware has the surface covered and matted with fine threads in the most intricate manner, and these are gilt and form a ground upon which well-modelled flowers are added. In china, imitations of the old Crown Derby patterns were produced to a considerable extent and with success. The patterns, colours and gilding are all in good style, and the quality of the china body is excellent.
Thomas Bevington succeeded J. &T. Bevington from 1867 to 1877.
Jewitt's Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks
23 Dec 2005