Frederick Marriott

 

Born in Burslem in 1860 the son of Samuel Marriott (an engineer).

He worked at Maw & Co between 1874 and 1879 as a pottery painter. He then attended the Coalbrookdale School of Art.


 

"Dictionary of British Artists working 1900-1950"by GRANT. M WALTERS, (Sussex, no year of publ.)

MARRIOTT, Frederick, R.E., R.B.C, A.R.C.A. (Lond.) (1860-1941).
Painter and etcher of landscapes, architectural subjects and portraits. Born on 20th October 1860 at Stoke-on-Trent, brother of the artist Frank Pickford Marriott. 
Received his early training in the school of Art, Coalbrookdale, and at the age of 14 went to work as a pottery painter in a factory. In 1879 he gained a National Scholarship at the R.C.A. where he studied for three years. 

He then worked as a designer and illustrator to Marcus Ward [note: should be "Wood"] and Company. Later became Chief Designer with Eyre and Spottiswood, and  remained for four and a half years. He practised repoussť work, wood carving, enamelling and modelling, and produced some fine panels in modelled glass [note: should be "gesso" ] with mother-of-pearl inlay. Exhibited at the R.A., R.E., in the provinces and at the Paris Salon. 

He was Design Master at Blackheath Art School, Headmaster of the Onslow College Art School, Chelsea, and Headmaster, Goldsmith's Institute, 1895-1925. 
Member of the Arts and Crafts Society, also the Art Workers' Guild, and was elected A.R.E. 1909, R.E. 1924. Made continental tours working on town scenes with the emphasis on architecture, and also visited and painted in Australia about 1910. He was friendly with Brangwyn, Clausen, Drury and East.

Lived in London and died on 2nd October 1941.


 

At the time of the 1881 census Frederick Marriott was lodging in a London boarding house with 5 other art students 4 of whom were from Stoke-on-Trent. 

 

1881 census:

Dwelling: 2 Phene Street
Census Place: Chelsea, London, Middlesex, England

Name

Marr | Age | Sex

  Birthplace Occupation
John KIRBY M 54 M Head Croydon, Surrey Lodging House Keeper
Harriet KIRBY  M 55 F Wife Binstead, Sussex  
George W. RHEAD U 26 M  Boarder Stoke On Trent Designer & Decorator Artistic Pottery
Louis J. RHEAD  U 22 M  Boarder Stoke On Trent Designer & Decorator Artistic Pottery
Richard A. LEDWARD  U 23 M  Boarder Burslem, Art Student
Thomas W. BLADEN  U 21 M  Boarder Coseley, Staffordshire Designer For (Painter) Artistic Stationery
Henry J. BARROWCLIFF  U 27 M Boarder Cuckfield, Sussex Insurance Clerk
Joseph PROCTOR U 22 M Boarder Burslem Art Student
Frederick MARRIOTT U 20 M Boarder Stoke On Trent Art Student

 


Maw & Co

Maw and Co were manufacturers of tiles and earthenware at Jackfield in Shropshire (started manufacture around 1850 and about 1875 started to produce 'Art Pottery' vases). In common with many other tile manufacturers they eventually became part of the Richards Group and in  1968 the Richards and Johnson tile groups merged.

Tube-lined tile by Maw and Company c.1880
Tube-lined tile by Maw and Company c.1880
with Arrowhead Sagittaria plant design
(Shrewsbury Museums Service)

Apprenticeship at Coalbrookdale School of Art

Some children were apprenticed as potters and artists. They were first paid a small fixed wage and then later by piecework. Apprentices often paid the factory small amounts for their training, although in reality they were trained by potters and artists in the factory, so did not cost the company money. After their seven year apprenticeship was finished and they were entitled to higher wages, they were often sacked in favour of a new, cheaper apprentice.

Yet the company did pay for some of its apprentices to attend evening classes at Coalbrookdale School of Art.

"Along with other boys we worked from 7.30 in the morning until six at night. We had to get the coal in and light the stove pots before we came. From six we walked to the Coalbrookdale School of Art. The wages was not great, just 2s 6d per week... In Winter we had to pay two pence a week... for the gaslight."
 Alfred Langford, Print Designer, later Art Director, on life at Coalport in 1899

updated: 30/12/2002

 

acknowledged contribution by:-

J.B.Peter Ogren K.R.
Department of Art History
University of Umea Sweden