history of the Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent
|Geographical locality of the Borough|
Geographical locality of the Borough Source: "The Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent" John Ward, 1843
"… the Borough as before defined… occupies a tract of about seven and a half miles from north to south, and of unequal breadth from one to three miles, and contains an area of more than twelve square miles.
In latitude 53°N. and 2°10"W. longitude from Greenwich.
The elevation of the surface, which at Stoke is level with the banks of the Trent, does not rise more than about 250 feet above it, at the highest eminences of Penkhull, Hanley Hill and Tunstall…
A great portion of this District, comprising the manors of Wolstanton, Penkhull, and Shelton, was, at and before the Conquest (Domesday, 246,b.) part of the possessions of the Crown; and had, probably continued such from the early partition of the country, by the Saxon invaders….
The contiguous district of Wolstanton, Penkhull, and Shelton, which probably extended further than those townships do at present, and certainly included the present town and territory of Newcastle, united with many other adjoining or neighbouring possessions of the Crown, formed a very extensive domain….
previous: early manufacture of earthenware
next: landowners - from Saxons to Robert De Stafford
questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks