|Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent|
[ Web Site Index ]
Job Meigh II lived at Bank House, Albion Street, Shelton (the site of the subsequent Hanley Town Hall). It was a 5 minute walk to the his pottery manufactory in Broad Street.
"Bank House, with its extensive front court or yard paved in blue-brick, stood where the present Town Hall is, and also had extensive grounds and a bowling green, whereon is now the Victoria Hall. The iron gates and palisades now adorn the front of St. Luke’s Church. Hanley at this day was the healthiest, leafiest town in the Potteries. In ten minutes walk from the Market Square, on any side, you would be amongst the fragrant hawthorns in spring."
W. Scarratt: "Old times in the Potteries" (1906)
|1837||Job Meigh purchased the Ash Estate and built Ash Hall for his home.|
|Mr Edward J. Ridgway was the last occupier of Bank House.|
|1869||On the Bank House site in Albion Street the present Town Hall was built as the Queens Hotel, designed by Robert Scrivener. It became the Town Hall in the 1880's.|
Hanley Town Hall - standing on the site of 'Bank House'
photo: Oct 1999