Church History - Tunstall

|   Church history Index |

 

Tunstall Church of England History....

"There is no church in the village, but 1,000 has been subscribed by some worthy and spirited individuals, in anticipation of being aided by government in the erection of one, the want of which being much felt. Thursfield, or 'New Chapel,' is a chapel of ease under Woolstanton, of which the Rev. John Lawton is the incumbent, and the Rev. Wm. Carter, curate. In this chapel was interred the celebrated canal engineer, James Brindley."
[From: Pigot & Co's 1828/9 Directory of Staffordshire]

 

"The new church here was erected partly by means of a grant from the commissioners for building churches, and the remainder by subscriptions among the inhabitants; the right of presentation to the living is vested in the perpetual curate of Wolstanton."
[From: Pigot & Co's 1841 Directory of Staffordshire]



 

Tunstall Nonconformist Church History....

 

"The places of worship in the village are three chapels for the Methodists." 
[From: Pigot & Co's 1828/9 Directory of Staffordshire]

 

"There are three chapels for Methodists."
[From: Pigot & Co's 1841 Directory of Staffordshire]




|   Church history Index |


part of thepotteries.org
the local history Internet Site of Stoke-on-Trent

email: Steve Birks