A. G. Richardson and Co. Ltd., Britannia Pottery, Cobridge
NOTE: This article which follows originally appeared in a 1956 book 'British Potters and Pottery Today', is based mainly upon accounts provided mainly by the firms themselves.
The firm of A. G. Richardson and Co., the makers of the well-known Crown Ducal range of wares has, in the space of forty years, built up a sound reputation for quality and craftsmanship second to none in the field of earthenware.
Their earliest home – the firm was founded in 1915 – was the Gordon Pottery, Tunstall, where they continued until 1934, extending their premises after a very short period as business increased. From the first the home market received their products with approbation and soon the overseas markets came to appreciate them likewise. In 1921 the first notable landmark in their progress was the introduction of aerographed, plain coloured tea wares, from which they went on to develop a high class trade in dinner and other table wares of the same type. At the present time Crown Ducal wares include also breakfast, coffee, morning and dessert sets, as well as a range of 'fancies'.
In 1934 Britannia Pottery, Cobridge, was acquired. It was considered a model factory at the time. Circular in plan, all departments being on one floor, except the moulding shop, a maximum of production with a minimum of effort was achieved.
Here all types of decorative styles are in normal production, from plain prints (for the American market) to print and enamel patterns in great variety, as well as lithographs. In their range of 'fancies' tube-line decoration and multi-coloured glazes predominate.
NOTE: This article which originally appeared in a 1956 book 'British Potters and Pottery Today', is based mainly upon accounts provided mainly by the firms themselves.
questions / comments? email: Steve Birks