Street Names in The Potteries
Street names are often chosen to reflect features of the surrounding area which are long since gone so there are Mill and Windmill Streets where the mills have been replaced with housing estates.
Influential people also give their name to streets so we have Spode and Wedgwood Streets together with John Nash Peake and Reginald Mitchell Way.
Other choices include - Manufactory: Brewery, Foundry... Transport: Old Tramway, Canal, Navigation....
Royal Streets: King, Duke, Queen, Princess....
Streets named after battles:
Nile Street, in Burslem, was named after the success of the battle of Aboukir Bay on the River Nile when Horatio Nelson defeated the French Toulon fleet on August 1st 1798 thus ending the sea phase of the Napoleonic wars with France.
The victory of Wellington, (Arthur Wellesley Wellington), (b.1769 - d.1852), over Napoleon in the Battle of Waterloo brought about a string of street and house names across the Empire. We have Waterloo Road in Burslem and in the Ivy House area of Hanley is Wellington Street and Terrace with Waterloo Street.
A number of streets of terraced houses laid out below Etruria park are named after South African towns prominent in the South African Wars (1899-1902), also known as the Boer Wars, a conflict in southern Africa between the British Empire and the allied, Afrikaner-populated Transvaal (or South African Republic) and Orange Free State (modern Free State), in what is now South Africa.
Ladysmith Road Ladysmith was founded by the British in 1850 after they annexed the area. It was named after the wife of Sir Harry Smith, the then governor of the Cape Colony (see Cape Province). In October 1899, during the early months of the South African Wars, the British forces at Ladysmith were surrounded by the Boers (see Afrikaners) for 115 days until they were relieved by Sir Redvers Buller on February 28, 1900. During this siege 3,200 people died, both in the defence of the town and from lack of food and medical supplies.
Kimberley Road Kimberley, city in central South Africa, capital of Northern Cape Province. Kimberley is the centre of a diamond-mining region. The principal industries include diamond-cutting, the processing of lime and tungsten, and the manufacture of cement and bricks. The city was founded in 1870 after the discovery of diamonds on a nearby farm.
Pretoria Road Pretoria, city in north-eastern South Africa, in Gauteng Province, on the Apies River. The settlement was established by Marthinus W. Pretorius in 1855 and named after his father, Andries W. J. Pretorius, the Boer soldier and statesman. It became the capital of the South African Republic in 1860. The Peace of Vereeniging, ending the South African Wars, was signed here in 1902.
Early Housing and Streets:
The earliest houses and streets in the Potteries known to have been laid out expressly for workers in the industry were those at Etruria, built by Josiah Wedgwood in the late 1760's. Apart from a row of six cottages forming an extension to the canal frontage of the works themselves, they were all built in terraced blocks on both sides of the road to Newcastle (now Etruria Road) and stretched westwards from the canal bridge. See "Tour of Etruria"
Some pottery manufacturers provided houses for their workers, such as Wedgwoods' Etruria Village and Penkhull Square provided by Josiah Spode. However these houses were only a small proportion of those built in the first decades of the 1900's.
Much greater activity came from speculators and building clubs, particularly the latter, which were not only responsible for some of the most fully planned developments and a very large number of terraced dwellings, such as those in John Street below, but led the way in providing a superior quality and type of house.
From: "Potworks, the industrial architecture of the Staffordshire potteries"