|the local history of Stoke-on-Trent, England||
Focus on - the birth of Primitive Methodism
next: born on the 27th June 1808
previous: the story of the Primitive Methodist Church
Around the same time as the rise of the Methodist New Connexion (of which the Bethesda Chapel in Hanley was the Conference Church), another wave of revival swept into the new towns of the Potteries.
Its leading figures were Hugh Bourne and William Clowes.
Hugh Bourne, was born at Ford Hayes Farm, Bucknall, on April 3, 1772. He was a shy man who, until his conversion in 1799, lived with an intense fear of falling into hell.
By the year 1800, he had moved to live in Harriseahead, a village to the north of the present city.
Towering above Bourne's new home was Mow Cop, a "bald hill" rising to 1,091 feet above sea level, with commanding views over Staffordshire and the Cheshire plain.
Pointon's house was the first
place used by the Methodists in Mow Cop. Preachers used to come
to the house fortnightly to take services, but they sometimes failed to
arrive. This happened on the 12th July 1801, when Hugh Bourne was
persuaded to preach. The house filled with people and, as it was a warm
day, they also spilled out onto the hill side.
| index page for 'focus on' |