Industrial History in Stoke-on-Trent
Falcon Glassworks, Cauldon Place, Stoke
The Falcon Glassworks in Norfolk Street, Cauldon, Hanley was locally known as Coles.
It was first mentioned in the local trade directories for 1851 and ceased
trading in 1907.
They are mentioned in the Staffordshire Advertiser 8th May 1852 as being
agents for the Stourbridge Glass Co which was in Glasshouse Street,
COLE, Samuel (c. 1826-1906), glass manufacturer, Hanley.
Samuel Cole was born either in Worcestershire or in Audley, Staffordshire. about 1826, and was established in business as a glass agent, in Marsh Street, Hanley by 1851.
In 1862 he traded as Samuel Cole and Co., Falcon Glassworks, Cauldon Place, and had a house and shop in Broad Street, Hanley. He was in partnership with Horton Yates from 1864 to c.1874 and had a house on Snow Hill from c. 1870 to c. 1880; during the 1870-80's his Falcon Glassworks manager was Hamlet Rogers (pictured below).
Cole was the largest manufacturer of glass in the Potteries. By 1900, if not earlier, the factory had been closed because of a prolonged strike.
Samuel Cole served as a councillor for Hanley borough from1857 to1871. He was a justice of the peace, Conservative in politics, and married with at least one child, Sarah. He gave up his shop about 1896, and died on 28 October 1906.
Sources: Census 1851, 1881; Hunbach; National Index to Wills and Administrations 1858-7937; Staffs. Sentinel 28 October 1906.
Map of Falcon Works
Photos of Cole's house & shop in Broad Street
Examples of glass ware from Cole's Falcon Works
There were other glass manufacturers in Stoke-on-Trent, one of the most famous was the Davenport family who produced pottery and glass ware in their Longport works.
Falcon Glassworks in Norfolk Street
Manager of the Falcon works in
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks