of Pubs, Inns & Beer Houses |
| Index of Longport Pubs |
On the opposite side of the canal to the wharf Henshall built a new public house in the late 1770s, the Packhorse Inn, to provide accommodation for boatmen and carters and their horses.
The Packhorse Inn on the opposite side of the road to the much smaller Duke of Bridgewater Inn was tenanted by the Dix family.
When it was offered for sale in 1871 it was described as containing “extensive cellaring, bar, bar parlour communal room, tap-room, kitchen, scullery, large billiard-room and club room to seat 150 persons, and the outbuildings comprise large brew-house, malthouse, stabling for 11 horses, coach-house, piggeries, and large skittle alley.” It can be found on the 1851 OS map of the Bottom Bridge Pottery.