Listed Buildings in Stoke-on-Trent and area
The Golden Cup Inn, Hanley
Public house of c.1907, with facade of 1912. The pub stands on the north fringe of Hanley town centre and faces east onto Old Town Road.
MATERIALS: It is constructed of red brick laid to Flemish bond with plain tile roof and dark green faience tiling.
EXTERIOR: The fašade is of four bays with what is now the principal entrance to the left. The ground floor has a faience tilework fašade, divided by pilasters and surmounted by deep scrolled brackets supporting a pulvinated frieze bearing the words `BASS ONLY' in gold lettering.
The wording is punctuated by a gold swag above the left door and the Red Triangle Bass trademark above what was the central doorway, now a window. The trademark reappears in lifebelts beneath the two large windows.
At first floor, to the left of the centre, is a large ceramic sign depicting a two-handled golden chalice with the words `THE/GOLDEN/CUP/INN'. There are three 1/1 sash windows with lugged and shouldered surrounds with aprons and pronounced keystones. At either side are fluted tilework pilasters carrying a green tiled cornice. There is a small single storey extension to the right, set back from the road, with blue brick banding and a mono-pitch roof. The windows to the rear have been replaced with casements and the external stack has been truncated. There are two gable end stacks to the right reveal, one to the left.
INTERIOR: The pub retains its original wooden bar with fluted pilasters and mirrored back bar, with drawers. This has a wooden superstructure supported on elaborately turned posts surmounted by miniature acroteria.
The rear right room retains fixed upholstered seating with bell-pushes. There has been some internal rearrangement but it is still possible to determine the original plan form. The fireplaces in both bars are replacements and the etched glass panels, although original, have been re-sited.
HISTORY: The pub was built in the early C20 and first listed in trade directories in 1907. The faience `Bass Only' signage was added in 1912, and was probably the work of the Campbell Tile Company, one of the companies founded following the fragmentation of Minton & Co.
The Bass Red Triangle is Britain's oldest registered trademark. It was the first trademark to be registered in 1876 following the Trademarks Registration Act of 1875. The Red Triangle had been used on Bass Pale Ale labels from c.1855, a development of the shipping mark on casks of ale.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: The Golden Cup Public House is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Index of all listed buildings |
| Tunstall | Burslem | Hanley | Stoke | Fenton | Longton | Other areas |