in Stoke-on-Trent and area
the Holy Evangelists, Normacot, Longton
Upper Belgrave Road
20 August 1979
Church of the Holy
STOKE ON TRENT SJ94SW UPPER
church. 1846-1847. Coursed, squared and rusticated rubble
with plain tiled roofs
Church of the Holy
photo: Steve Birks
Parish church. 1846-1847.
Coursed, squared and rusticated rubble with plain
tiled roofs with scallopped bands.
Nave with 2 aisles, and chancel with south aisle
chapel and north vestry. Early Decorated style. Central buttress
in west wall of nave flanked by lancet windows, and rose window
over. Gabled porch in centre of north aisle, with 2-light
Decorated windows with quatrefoils each side. Lancet windows to
south aisle which is a slightly later addition. Bellcate at east
end of nave.
Inside: arcade of 4 bays with alternating
octagonal and cylindrical shfts, and corbels as responds.
Chancel arch also carried on corbel heads, with royal arms over.
Ornate roof, with curved principal rafters
carried on posts from corbels. Arms of Duke of Sutherland and
Earl of Lichfield in tiles in the floor of the nave, and dates
1846 and 1847. Originally pews.
Reredos with 3 arcaded foiled arches over central
statue. Sedilia. Stained glass in chancel of 1886 and 1949, and
in south aisle, 1858-1876, and north aisle 1874-1892.
(The Victoria History of the Counties of England:
RB. Pugh: Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-).
Normacot Church (Easter Monday 1917)
Normacot Church of the Holy Evangelists at
Interior c 1910
Holy Evangelists, Belgrave Road (SE).
1847 by George Gilbert Scott at the expense of the Duke
of Sutherland (cf. Trentham). The N aisle 1891-2 by John
Lewis. Not a masterpiece. Middle Pointed with a S aisle with
small one-light windows. No tower. - plate. Chalice of 1781 by
Buildings of England
next: Church of the
Holy Trinity, Northwood
previous: Bottle Oven at Middleport Pottery, Middleport