in Stoke-on-Trent and area
09 April 1991
STOKE ON TRENT, LONDON ROAD,
Purpose built library in 1878 by Charles Lynam. Site given
by Colin Minton Campbell, costs subscribed by Thomas William
library in 1878 by Charles Lynam
Library, purpose built as a library and
Shakespeare Institute in 1878, by Charles Lynam.
Brick with stone dressings, enriched with tiled
panels and mosaics. 2-storeyed over a basement, 5 bays, stepped
in plan. Red brick to basement, then white brick above, with
rubbed red brick pilasters and architraves to windows in the
advanced 3-bay section to the SW. 3 oculi, with tiled panels
over, and mosaic depicting Shakespeare in the central panel.
Stone band embellished with motifs, and
continuous band of casement windows immediately below the
overhanging eaves. Doorway in recessed bay to NE with terracotta
entablature and mosaic panel over with the date and foundation
details. Tiled panels continue round side elevations, and depict
flowers in urns, now very faded. Gable end stacks.
mosaic depicting Shakespeare in
the central panel
gave us power"
London Road, Stoke
previous: Herbert Minton Building, London Road, Stoke