in Stoke-on-Trent and area
meat market, Tontine Street, Hanley
02 Oct 1951
Originally built as
a meat market, in the late 1990's refurbished as the
'Tontines Shopping Centre', in 1999 used as Waterstone's
Book Shop and also a Wetherstone's Public House 'Reginald
STOKE ON TRENT SJ8847 TONTINE
Built in 1831, classic style, rectangular with a facade of
Tontine Square end
Webberly's book and print shop is visible in the
1831. Classic style.
Rectangular, with facade of 5 bays, the central
containing an arched entrance with a cupola above.
All the side bays have Roman Doric entrances, the
extreme sides being pedimented and having featured entrances
with coupled columns supporting a pediment. Plain frieze;
was from this covered market that Potteries' people drew lots
for tickets to escape to a hopefully better life in the New
Built in 1831 as a shambles (butchers slaughterhouse), the
cattle market was in nearby
Lower Bethesda Street.
The market closed on Saturday 14th November 1987. Three days
later the stallholders were trading in the underground market of
the new 'Potteries Shopping Centre' in Market Square.
Corner of the old Meat Market
Tontine Street to the left, Percy Street to the
Main Entrance on Tontine Street
Cupola, with the clock face, over the entrance.
next: St. John the
Evangelist Church, Town Road, Hanley
Previous: Former Post Office, Tontine Street, Hanley