in Stoke-on-Trent and area
Hill Top Sunday
19 April 1972
Hill Top Methodist Church
STOKE ON TRENT
1837 Brick with stone dressings, only portico remains
impressive building was built in 1836 on the corner of Westport Road
and Hall Street.
Closed in January 1977, a fire caused widespread damage in 1983.
Beyond repair the main body was demolished in 1987 but the dramatic
front portico remains (and is a listed building)
Known locally as
'Hill Top' as it stands at the top of Westport Road.
Situated between Wade Heaths and Enoch Woods Potteries.
photo: Steve Birks - Oct 1999
Portico of Hill Top
Methodist Sunday School
Mr Brian Peach -
Portico, all that survives of former methodist
church, built as Burslem Sunday School in 1836 by Samuel Parch.
Raised on a projecting basement, with
balustrading and steps from street level. 8 Doric columns
support entablature, with central blocking course inscribed
"Burslem Sunday School". Behind the portico, the paired former
doorways are now blocked, with pediment cases.
(The Buildings of England: N. Pevsner:
Bennett referred to Burslem Sunday School
in his novels set in the Potteries.
photo: Steve Birks - Feb 2001
more on Hill
Top Sunday School
on the Hilltop Chapel
next: Wade Heath
Pottery, Westport Road, Burslem
previous: Former Fountain Place Pottery, Westport Road, Burslem