in Stoke-on-Trent and area
Methodist School, Hanley
Bethesda Street (east Side)
01 October 1986
Alexander House (Former
Bethesda Methodist School)
STOKE ON TRENT SJ8847
Methodist school, now offices, 1819, upper story 1835, brick
Alexander House - former Methodist Sunday School
from the side (now used as offices)
photos: Steve Birks - Oct 1999
Former Methodist School. 1819, enlarged 1836.
Flemish bond brickwork with plain tiled roof.
2-storeyed, 12 bays fronting church yard, the central section
advanced with pedimented gable with giant pilasters and
octagonal lantern over. Pilasters also mark angles.
Windows are sashes with margin lights and flat
arched stuccoed heads with expressed keystones. Upper windows of
central section have entablatures carried on console brackets.
Pedimented stuccoed gable to street with blind
central doorway with entablature and flanking sash windows with
margin lights. Central upper window with entablature, also
Inscribed in the pediment is "Bethesda School.
Erected MDCCCXIX enlarged MDCCCXXXVI". Alexander House forms the
south wing added to the rear beyond the former pedimented
central gable, matching that to the north. Round arched doorway
with margin lights below and tripartite upper windows.
Cast-iron railings with domed caps to Bethesda
Potteries Water Board Offices, Albion Street, Hanley
previous: War Memorial, Albion Street, Hanley