| Districts | Streets | Maps

Stoke-on-Trent Districts: Longton Cemetery

 

 
next: maps of the cemetery
 

Longton Cemetery, Spring Garden Road, Longton



 

Following a competition in 1872 for the design of the lay-out, Longton Cemetery opened in 1877 and covers approximately 7.4 hectares (about 21 acres).  It has been extended a total of  four times.

"TO LAND SURVEYORS. The Committee of the Longton Spring Garden Benefit Building Society are prepared to OFFER two PRIZES of 25 and 10 for the best and second best PLANS for ARRANGING and LAYING-OUT the STREETS, BUILDING ALLOTMENTS and SEWERAGE, upon the land comprising the SPRING GARDENS, LONGTON, and land adjacent thereto.
The Plans to be sent to Mr E PALMER by March 11th, 1872, and to become the property of the society. The land can be viewed at any time, and an outline plan inspected, by applying at the office of Mr E PALMER, 11, Commerce-street, Longton."

The Staffordshire Advertiser, 17 February 1872

The gates to Longton cemetery
The gates to Longton cemetery
manufactured by the Coalbrook dale Iron Company.
 

The arms of Longton Town on the cemetery gates
The arms of Longton Town on the cemetery gates
"Great Industria" - "Let Industry be made"
Longton was incorporated as a borough in 1865

On the left of the shield a potter and on the right a miner.
The Boar's head is from the Arms of the Copeland Family and was also included in the Stoke-upon-Trent (Stoke Town) and the City Arms.
The eagle is from the crest of James Glover (and is also included on the City Arms)


Three Glovers were mayors of Longton

James GLOVER (c. 1797-1869) - the eagle in the Longton Arms was taken from his family crest.

Born in Hanford, Stoke upon Trent, about 1797. He was working a brewery in Sutherland Road, Longton, by 1829 he was described as an 'extensive ale and porter brewery'.
James Glover also later owned a colliery, and the brewery and colliery together amounted to about one eighth of the total rate income of Longton.

James Glover was chief bailiff of Longton during the Chartist riots of 1842. He was elected mayor following the town's incorporation as a borough in 1865. He was Liberal in politics but withdrew from the Liberal party following an argument with the parliamentary election candidates over electoral expenses.

The family lived at Sutherland Place, Longton, in 1841 and at Sideway Villa, Longton, by 1851. He died in 1869.

His sons, James and Alfred, were partners in the flint grinding business at Longton Old Mill and Upper and Lower Corns Mills. They were also partners in Longton Hall colliery and Longton Hall ironworks. Subsequently both served as mayors of Longton.

Anderton; Census 1841,1851; VCH viii, People of the Potteries

 

 
next: maps of the cemetery