Thomas Worthington |  People from Stoke-on-Trent

| index: W | 

Thomas Worthington

[ Web Site Index ]


Also see: 

| Bethesda Methodist Chapel | Bethesda Town Mission
| Brook Street Pottery
| Worthington & Green | Jasper Street |


Thomas Worthington, a pottery owner, benefactor of Bethesda Chapel who owned houses in Mollart Street, Bethesda Street and evidently Jasper Street.

NOTE: Mollart Street and the parallel Vine Street were demolished to make way for the Potteries Way ring road.


date plaque on houses in Jasper Street
date plaque on houses in Jasper Street
bearing the date 1874 and the initials "TW"



father: John Worthington

Thomas Worthington

wife: Mary

children (with his wife Mary)





c.1816 Thomas Worthington born c.1816 the son of John Worthington.
1844 Operated the 'Brook Street Pottery' in Brook Street, Hanley (now Century Street) with James Green as partner under the name "Worthington & Green"
1857 Elected to Hanley borough council.
1861 According to the 1861 census Thomas Worthington was living at 13 Mollart Street.
1862 By this date Thomas Worthington and James Green were stated as owning a theatre in Brunswick Street.
1864 Brook Street Pottery partnership with James Green ended and the works continued under the name "Worthington & Son" [the 'son' from an earlier marriage]
1874 1874 the Bethesda Town Mission was built - Thomas Worthington's wife Mary laid the corner stone. 
1879 Thomas Worthington died 1 June 1879. 
1881 According to the 1881 census TW's widowed wife Mary and their 5 children were living at 11 Mollart Street.
1893 "Worthington & Son" pottery works closed.

Note: "People of the Potteries" states that Thomas Worthington was married three times and that it was his second wife Mary who laid the foundation stone of the mission hall.
- certainly the 'son' in the pottery works "Worthington & Son" was from an earlier marriage. However the 1881 census (details below) show that Mary's and Thomas's last child (Emily) was born the year that Thomas died. Mary was evidently Thomas's last wife.


Bethesda Town Mission
Jasper Street, Hanley

In 1874 Bethesda Town Mission was erected in Jasper Street. This was later called the Worthington Town Mission.

1881 census:

Dwelling: 11 Mollart St
Census Place: (Stoke Upon Trent) Shelton, Staffordshire, England


Marr | Age | Sex

  Birthplace Occupation
Mary WORTHINGTON W 29 F  Head Hanley  
Thomas C. WORTHINGTON  8 M  Son Hanley Scholar
John F. WORTHINGTON  5 M  Son Hanley Scholar
Arthur WORTHINGTON  4 M Son Hanley Scholar
Mary WORTHINGTON  3 F Daur Hanley  
Emily WORTHINGTON  1 F  Daur Hanley  
Ruth FORRESTER  U 31 F  Serv Hogston, Buckingham Cook (Dom Serv)
Catherine NICKLIN  U 23 F Serv Hanley Dom Serv
Margaret STATER U 21 F Serv Houghton Nurse (Dom Serv)

updated: 1 March 2002