[ Townscape Interest ]
The current built environment of Stoke-on-Trent is primarily a product of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and little built fabric dates from before the mid-eighteenth century. However, the street layout in many areas is considerably older than this, for example Stoke Road, King Street, and Honeywall. The Yates Plan, dating from 1750, illustrates that a network of roads had been established by that time, linking growing settlements, including Hanley Green, Penkhull and Burslem.
The City of Stoke-on-Trent is formed from an amalgam of towns and villages that have expanded and merged. This accounts for the multi-centred structure of the City, contrasting with the more typical structure of cities which comprises a central business district surrounded by concentric bands of growth, with subordinate districts linked by radial and concentric pathways.
The centres of the various constituent towns and villages have retained their individual characters to some extent. For example, the centre of Penkhull has retained some of its village atmosphere, despite now being surrounded on all sides by urban development
questions/comments? email: Steve Birks