Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week


contents: 2011 photos


click for
previous
photos

Advert of the Week
Photo of the Week

Kensington Works, St. James Street, Hanley

  • The works were established by Wilkinson, Rickuss & Toft c.1855.

  • 1856 - 1862 as Wilkinson and Rickuss

  • Succeded in 1862 by Wilkinson & Son (& Co).

  • c. 1867 a Mr Bailey and John Bevington took the works and operated as Bailey & Bevington until Bailey retired in 1872. 

  • John Bevington operated the works on his own accord until his death in 1892. 

  • From 1892 the works were operated by George Bevington and Arthur John Bevington (presumably John's sons) as 'Kensington Fine Art Pottery' In 1899 they were bankrupt. 

  • In 1907 R. Edwards and Co. were operating the works as the 'St. James Street Pottery' - manufacturing Jet, Rockingham, & Samian ware.

  • c.1922 the works were operating as 'Kensington Pottery Ltd' - in 1937 Kensington Pottery Ltd. moved from St. James Street, Hanley to the Top Bridge Works in Burslem. 

  • In the mid 2000's the works were occupied by a double glazing manufacturer and later occupied by Claycraft 'Superior Ceramics'

  • The whole of this area was demolished in 2005 and in 2010 a new Tesco
    Supermarket opened together with an extension of the Potteries Way ring road.

 


 

1898 OS map showing St. James Street and Broad Street.
1898 OS map showing St. James Street and Broad Street
the Kensington Works is shown in red

 

 


1934 photo - to the left is Clough Street and to the right Broad Street
the Kensington works is marked in red

 

to the right is Broad Street and the Kensington works to centre left 
to the right is Broad Street and the Kensington works to centre left

 

Kensington Works

"Established by Wilkinson & Rickuss in about 1856, who were succeeded in 1862 by Wilkinson & Son, and next by Bailey & Bevington. 

Mr Bailey having retired in 1872, the works were carried on by John Bevington, who produced ordinary earthenware, ornamental china, Parian and stoneware - the speciality being imitation Dresden for home, United States and Australian markets. 

In the 1880's. John Bevington advertised 'Reproductions of the Old Dresden, Derby, Chelsea, and Worcester patterns, in figures, vases, candelabra (1,2,3,4 & 5 lights) baskets, etc.' 

John Bevington continued at the Kensington Works until his death in 1892."

Jewitt's Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900

 


St. James Street 
St. James Street 

 

Kensington Works
The remains of the Kensington Works (white building), 
St. James Street, off Broad Street, Hanley

not all potworks were grand with imposing entrances and huge bottle kilns, many were modest, warehouse type buildings. The buildings managed to cling on to existence long after pottery manufacture ceased within their walls.

photo: Dec 2005


The whole of this area is now demolished and in 2010 a new Tesco
Supermarket opened together with an extension of the Potteries Way ring road.


 


St. James Street in Dec 2005 - the area was being preperaed for demolition
the Black Linon pub was on the corner of St. James Street and Broad Street

 


The much altered remains of the Kensington Works 


 

 


contents: 2011 photos

 

 

Related pages 


Broad Street, Hanley

The Bevington Family of Potters


also see..

Advert of the Week
Photo of the Week