Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week


contents: 2011 photos


click for
previous
photos

Advert of the Week
Photo of the Week

Trent Potteries (later Crescent Potteries), Stoke-upon-Trent
the history & chronology of these works is complicated and, as ever, dates are approximate. 


  • In 1856 George Jones opened a pottery showroom in Glebe Street.

  • c.1865 George Jones built the Trent Potteries  'adjoining the Newcastle-under-Lyme Canal and the Newcastle-Uttoxeter Road'.

  • From 1872 China ware was also made.

  • 1873 the company was renamed as George Jones & Sons.  George Jones died in 1893 - the business continued with the original name 'George Jones & Sons'.

  • In 1907 the works was renamed to the Crescent Potteries. 

  • 1920 Cauldon Potteries moved from their factory in Cauldon Place, Shelton to share the Crescent Pottery. 

  • In 1924 Coalport China was sold to Cauldon Potteries Ltd. who in turn moved to operate from the Crescent Pottery. 

    George Jones & Sons Ltd., Cauldon Potteries Ltd. and Coalport China Co. Ltd. were all operating from the Crescent Pottery. 

  • 1955 Coalport China moved from the Crescent Works to the factory of Samuel Redford, High Street, Fenton. 

  • 1957 George Jones & Sons Ltd. ceased trading. 

  • 1962 the name and goodwill of Cauldon Potteries was aquired by Pountney & Co. Ltd. of Bristol and manufacture of pottery at the Crescent Potteries ceased. 


 

 

 

 

 

the painted name on the wall on Flemming Road reads 'Crescent Pottery'

the painted name on the wall on Flemming Road reads 'Crescent Pottery'  
in the background is the offices of Royal Doulton's Minton office on London Road
- these buildings have been replaced by a supermarket -

the works opened c.1865, manufacture ceased c.1962
c. 2001 the remaining building were demolished and later a supermarket opened on the site

 

   

redundant buildings of the Crescent Pottery 
photos taken from Wolfe Street before demolition  

photos: 2000

 


 

 

Trent Potteries (later Crescent Potteries), Stoke-upon-Trent

Trent Potteries (later Crescent Potteries), Stoke-upon-Trent - built c.1865

photo: Stoke-on-Trent City Handbook 1957

 

 

Yellow circle - Trent  (Crescent) Potteries
Purple oval
- Spode pottery works
Green line - London Road
Dark Blue line - Church Street
Purple line - Boothen Road
Light Blue line - Lonsdale Street
Red line - Wolfe Street (now Flemming Road & South Wolfe Street) 



the same area in 2010 - the pottery works in the 1957 photo have been replaced
by a supermarket, car park and police station

Bing maps 

 


 

1898 map showing The Trent (Crescent) pottery works
1898 map showing The Trent (Crescent) pottery works
the Newcastle to Stoke canal is shown to the left


 

George Jones & Sons, Cauldon Potteries, Coalport China Co. - at the Crescent Potteries

George Jones & Sons, Cauldon Potteries, Coalport China Co. - at the Crescent Potteries

The Pottery Gazette and Glass Trade Review, June 1 1939

 

 

George Jones & Sons Ltd.,  Crescent Potteries - 1939 advert

George Jones & Sons Ltd.,  Crescent Potteries - 1939 advert

 

 

Cauldon Potteries Ltd.,  Crescent Potteries - 1939 advert

Cauldon Potteries Ltd.,  Crescent Potteries - 1939 advert

 

 

The Coalport China Co. Ltd., (John Rose & Co.),  Crescent Potteries - 1939 advert

The Coalport China Co. Ltd., (John Rose & Co.),  Crescent Potteries - 1939 advert

 

 


 


contents: 2011 photos

 

 

related pages 


George Jones - marks on their ware

Coalport China Ltd

Cauldon Potteries Ltd


also see..

Advert of the Week

Photo of the Week