150 years of the Shelton Works - page 12
|For the first three decades
of its life of the Shelton site was under continual expansion.
Locally-mined ore was mixed with that from nearby Froghall to improve its quality until coke replaced coal as a fuel. The ore from South Wales and the north of England was then used instead.
This continual expansion was to reach its next significant milestone in 1866, with the decision to form a private limited company. On July 10th that year the Shelton Iron and Steel Company Ltd was registered. It had capital of £250,000 in 250 shares each worth £1,000, of which the Earl Granville held 77.
He also held on, very firmly, to the
blast furnaces, which continued to operate under his direct ownership.