150 years of the Shelton Works - page 17
|At about the turn of the
Century developments more familiar to latter-day steelamkers were taking
A basic slag works, to make the slag suitable for commercial use was opened, and there were demands for increased steel production.
Those demands were met by the building of new steel furnaces. The original pair had been increased to five, and by 1905 three more were built in a new melting shop beside the original one. This complex was built between the existing Security Lodge and what is now known as the 32" sheds. A fourth furnace was to be added to the second shop within three years.