150 years of the Shelton Works - page 26
|Once peace was restored,
Shelton got about its business again, and in 1947 an ore stocking ground
was created on the grange, alongside a crushing plant.
During the same year Shelton lost
control of all its pits as the Government nationalised the mines. In
1951 came the first nationalisation of the steel industry, when the
assets of all sizable iron and steel plants were taken under the wing of
At this time the Shelton operation was making an efficient contribution to the Summers empire. However towards the end of the Fifties it became obvious that the plant was becoming weary and outmoded, in spite of systematic improvements, including the building of a Sinter plant.