|An english pottery established in 1815 by John Doulton at Lambeth, London, in association with John Watts and known as Doulton and Watts. The company became Doulton and Co. (Ltd.) about 1858 and remained so until the factory closed in 1956.|
Doulton was known chiefly for its utilitarian stoneware and earthenware until about 1871, when students of the Lambeth School of Art began decorating Doulton salt-glazed brown stoneware. The students' work may be considered not only a source of renewed interest in ornamental stoneware but also the first noteworthy example of artist-pottery in England. Hannah Barlow and her brother and sister, Arthur and Florence, along with Frank Butler, Emily Edwards, and George Tinworth were among the artists who worked in the Doulton studio. The practice was continued into the 20th century, and it led to the development of similar projects at other English potteries.
In about 1877-78 Doulton of Lambeth bought the earthenware factory of Pindar, Bourne and Company at Burslem, Staffordshire. The name was retained until 1882 when it was changed to Doulton and Company, Ltd. This Doulton enterprise became well known for its fine porcelains, which were especially successful in the United States and Canada.
In 1901 the company was authorised by King Edward VII to market its products as Royal Doulton (the royal mark appeared in 1902). Since October 1955 the official name of the firm has been Doulton Fine China, Ltd. It was appointed supplier to Queen Elizabeth II in 1968.
questions / comments? email Steve Birks firstname.lastname@example.org