|A photo walk across Stoke Fields to Winton's Wood, Stoke-on-Trent
- the parish of St. Simon and St. Jude
The very early years - the times of the Romans and Normans
next: the early years 1750 onwards
Locally, the road passed through or near to Uttoxeter, Longton, Fenton, Stoke, Shelton, Wolstanton and Chesterton before continuing to Nantwich and Chester. After the Roman withdrawal, the road system fell into disrepair owing to the lack of a central administration; succeeding generations being less inclined to travel far. The lines of these roads would have been visible for hundreds of years, but in many cases the road building materials were robbed for local building purposes. In places the line of Via Devana, or Rykeneld Street as it was to become, can be seen to this day.
During the Wars of the Roses, Staffordshire supported Lancaster in the
north and west, and York in the south and east.
John Alcock - (c) Copyright 2006