photo walk around Ash Hall, Werrington Stoke-on-Trent
Job Meigh & the Ash Hall Estate
location 5 on the map |tour map|
The postal address of this short road is Bridle Path (on the 1937 OS map it was named East Avenue) - at the end of this road is the original bridle path.
The Bridle Path was the route of coal carts from Hanley Hayes Colliery to the Hanley-Cheadle Turnpike Road. The exploitation of the coal seams under the estate - reflected in the names of the fields: “Coal Pit Field” and “Slack Pit Field” - helped to pay for the construction of the new estate buildings and the enlargement of the estate.
The start of the 'bridle path' at the end of the road
photos: July 2000
previous: Ash Cottage - the gardeners home
next: the bridge over the bridle path