Master Potters in Georgian Burslem (1714-1837)
Bowling Green in High Street
Location 10 on
the index map
Sometimes the history of these places is almost forgotten,
this patch of ground was on the 1812 map recorded as 'Old Bowling Green'
Located in High
Street (Now Greenhead Street) - High Street, so called because
it was higher than 'Lower Street' - which is now Queen Street.
This is the narrow passageway which runs from the
Bowling Green through the potworks to Market Place
and the Town Hall.
(except when it's finishing time at Wades)
it must of been in constant use by pottery workers, children going to
the ragged school and people using their little leisure
time at the bowling green.
next we walk down the alleyway
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks