Master Potters in Georgian Burslem (1714-1837)
St. John's Church, Burslem
Location 17 on the index map
St John's church at the time of the Wedgwood Church Yard Works is shown covered in thatch. After a serious fire the nave was rebuilt in brick and tile in 1717. The west tower of 1536 was retained.
As the town grew the demand for new seats was met by the construction of a gallery at the West end of the church in 1769 paid for by the sale of pews. The new business elite of the town was happy to pay up to £10 in order to secure an elevated seat in the parish church.
A plan of the gallery and the list of subscribers appears here. Additional galleries on the north and south sides of the church were built in 1775 apparently on the initiative of Enoch Wood. He was also responsible for organising the rebuilding of the chancel and the replacement of the roof in 1788. The Church was extended adding the two rightmost windows and door. The illustration below shows the result of these improvements in 1860.
St John's Church in 1860
St John's Church in 2000
rebuilt in 1717 - the West Tower is 1536
next is Wedgwood's Church Yard Works
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks