|A walk around
Dresden, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
Dresden & the Longton Freehold Land Society
location 6 on the map |tour map|
The main shopping street on the Dresden Estate
On the left is the Princess Royal public house
On the skyline is Longton town centre - a single bottle
kiln can be seen. The church to the left is
photos: June 2001
The formation of the new estate, separated by open fields from the town of Longton, soon gave rise to a demand for other goods and services. Within a very short space of time shops were built usually on street corners to serve the local population.
The two following examples illustrate the new shops opened on the estate. The first is from the Staffordshire Advertiser on 7 February 1863:
THE PLEASURES OF THE COUNTRY WITH ALL THE TRADE ADVANTAGES OF THE TOWN DRESDEN, NEAR LONGTON
TO BE LET, with immediate possession, a HOUSE and PREMiSES, situate in the above thriving place, fitted with handsome Plate Glass Front, and fronting two of the principal streets. Bakehouse, storeroom, and every facility for a first class business. Apply to Mr R Wooley, Carlisle-street, Dresden; or to Mr JOHN MALPASS, Grocer, High Street, Longton.
The second example is from the Staffordshire Advertiser of 15 February 1868:
TO BE LET, at Lady-day next, HOUSE and PREMISES situate in Villiers-street, DRESDEN, and consisting of shop, parlour, sitting-rooms, four bedrooms, kitchen, brewhouse, bakehouse, and oven, and other appurtenances. A grocery business and sale of beer (off the premises) is now being carried on. Satisfactory reasons given for leaving. Incoming moderate. Apply to Mrs BUTLER
Some of the larger shops advertised themselves in local directories. Such as T Hawley’s shop on the corner of Carlisle Street and Peel Street which was advertised in G Farmer’s Celebrated Almanac for Longton in 1881.
Also John Blakeman’s shop which has a very ornate frontage on the corner of Trentham Road and Peel Street also from Farmer’s Aimanac in 1887.
Although there were shops in most streets of the estate, the main shopping street was Carlisle Street which ran north-south across the estate. This was also the location of Dresden Post Office (at No 1) run by Edward Hill, grocer and stationer, c. 1867-76.
previous: Red Gate public house in Russell Street
next: Co-op in Carlise Street