Etruria: Etruria and Josiah Wedgwood (1760 onwards)
Shelton Bar, Shelton Iron & Steel
The Leveson-Gower family were working coal and ironstone mines in the vicinity of Etruria in the 18th century. Between 1839 and 1841 the 4th Earl Granville erected 3 furnaces between Cobridge Road and Mill Street.
In 1850 his son built a new railway line across the Etruria estate to the works at Mill Street.
Shortly afterwards new furnaces (illustrated below) were erected on the bank of the Trent and Mersey Canal and in 1864 a forge and mills were added at this site.
A new company, The Shelton Bar Iron Co., was formed to run the concern. From 1857 this was managed by William Roden who lived at Etruria Hall. As the company expanded the landscape around the Hall was transformed as the park designed by Emes was obliterated by the deposit of colliery spoil and waste slag (see the 1899 ordnance survey map).
New iron making furnaces erected on
the bank of the Trent and Mersey Canal
The railway line of the steel making plant.
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks