photo walk around Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent
Fenton 'Athenaeum' High Street East (now City Road)
location 4 on the map |tour map|
next: Crossroads at the Royal Oak
previous: 'The Arcade' Christchurch Street
On the right at the corner
of Church Street (now Christchurch Street) can be seen the corner of the
Fenton 'Athenaeum' built by William Baker IV in 1853 with a newsroom,
In 1865 part of the building was leased to the Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co., Ltd. and later the National Westminster Bank - it was demolished in 1977 and replaced by a modern bank building.
The houses on the right
were built for the workers at Bakers potworks these are long gone and
the area is now the site of a car park.