Longport: The 'Kingdom' of Davenport (1760's - mid 19th C))
Location 1 on
the index map
The starting point for our walk is on the side of the Trent and Mersey canal - opened in 1777 and vital for the journey to the sea (via Liverpool docks).
We are looking at the rear of Price & Kensingtons pottery works - which originally was Davenports Top Bridge Works.
This corner just below the works was a wharf - the warehouse and canal office shown on the 1851 map are still standing today:
The old wharf warehouse.
The canal office is still standing (just!)
by the side of an extension to the potworks.
next is the Pack Horse Inn
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks