Longport: The 'Kingdom' of Davenport (1760's - mid 19th C))
Location 4 on
the index map
Looking down the road towards Newcastle-under-Lyme
On the left world be the Bottom
Bridge Works (Duke of Bridgewater)
and on the right is the Pack Horse Inn.
The main road straight ahead is
Longport & Porthill Road
veering off to the right is Station Road - this originally was the
main road from Burslem to Newcastle - the Porthill Road
did not exist at that time.
See 1832 map - the 1851 map shows the development
of the fork in the road visible in the photo above.
Later terraced houses in the lower
of Station Road.
next is Princes Square and the visit of the Prince of Wales (later George IV)
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks