Josiah Spode II (1754-1827) and The Mount Estate (Penkhull)
Location 15 on
the index map
Moving from the school, back past St. Thomas church and down Garden Street we come to Penkhull Farm which has been here since at least the 1700's.
In the 18th century Penkhull Farm was the property of the Alsager family.
Josiah Spode II took over the lease after the death of Harvey Boulton.
Josiah Spode took down and rebuild many of the farm buildings. The extract from the 1877 Ordnance Survey map below shows the location of the farm in Garden Street. Most of farm buildings around the yard next to the farmhouse were almost certainly rebuilt by Josiah Spode in the early 19th century.
The size and value of Penkhull Farm is listed here.
The rear of Penkhull Farm
Most of farm buildings around the yard next
to the farmhouse were rebuilt
by Josiah Spode in the early 19th century.
Elm Tree House, Garden Street
previous: was Penkhull school
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks