Josiah Spode II (1754-1827) and The Mount Estate (Penkhull)
Location 4 on
the index map
The smaller rectangular structure on the north-west side of the main house is the service wing which contains a separate staircase for the servants. In keeping with its service functions very little stone was used in the construction of this part of the house. The elevations and plans from the 1875 auction catalogue show the house as it first appeared when it was built in c.1803-4.
To the left of the family part of the house is the service wing.
1) The family part of The Mount is to the centre and right.
2) The light red brick pediment in the centre was added when
the house was converted into a school for the blind
and deaf (in order to maintain symmetry).
3) The original butler's and house keeper's rooms
in the service wing has the scaffolding around it.
1875 illustration of The Mount
The illustration above is taken from the auction catalogue for the sale of the house in 1875. It shows the main elevation from the direction of Clayton. The family block is prominently featured while the service wing (on the left of the picture) is obscured by trees and shrubs.
The coal and ash room - and "Servants' Privy!"
Further round to the left is the servants yard, laundry rooms etc.
The 1875 plan shows the functions of each room.
next: is the Blind
and Deaf school
previous: was The Mount - originally home of Josiah Spode II
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks