Josiah Spode II (1754-1827) and The Mount Estate (Penkhull)
The Mount - let to tenants from 1840 onwards
The limited involvement in the building of Penkhull Church by the Spode family was due to the fact Mary Spode, widow of Josiah Spode Ill, and her son Josiah Spode IV, moved to Armitage Park and the Mount was let to tenants.
The first tenant was Lewis Adams, pottery manufacturer of Stoke, who occupied the house from 1840 to 1844.
He was followed by William Allbut, printer and editor of the North Staffordshire Mercury, who was in residence from 1844 to 1853. His wife ran a boarding school for ‘Young Ladies” at the Mount advertised in the Mercury on 17 July 1847:
SCHOOL FOR YOUNG LADIES. THE MOUNT, NEAR NEWCASTLE-UNDER-LYME
Mrs William Allbut respectfully intimates that the duties of her school will be resumed after the Summer Vacation, on Tuesday, the 27th. of July.
TERMS: Under twelve years of age..40 guineas per annum.
Above twelve.........50 guineas per annum.
These terms include all the branches of a thorough English education; also French taught by a resident Governess.
In the domestic arrangements of the establishment, an attempt is made to combine the comforts and enjoyments of home with careful school training: while the delightful situation of The Mount, and the extent of the pleasure grounds, afford every facility for healthful recreation.
Prospectuses may be had on application.
North Staffordshire Mercury 17 July 1847
The 1851 Census return for the Mount shows the scholars who were at the school.
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks