Villa Pottery, Cobridge, Stoke-on-Trent
|1835||1845||Jones & Walley|
|1845||1865||Edward Walley||in 1861 360 hands were employed.|
|1865||1879||Wood, Son & Co|
|1879||William Edward Cartlidge|
Dates predominantly taken from "Jewitt's Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900"
"At the beginning of the nineteenth century, this pottery belonged to Mr. Warburton. From about 1835 to 1845, it was carried on by Jones & Walley.
From 1845 until 1865, Edward Walley continued the Villa Pottery, after which it passed into the hands of Wood, Son & Co., afterwards Wood & Dunn. In 1879, it passed to William Edward Cartlidge, who removed here from Bourne's Bank.
Formerly, white graniteware for the American markets was made; then Britannia-metal-mounted goods, ordinary earthenware, jet figures, Rockingham, and majolica were produced.
W. E. Cartlidge continued until about 1892."
Jewitt's Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900.
In 1865 Absolom wood (a descendent of Moses) became the founder and senior partner in Wood Son & Co. It is believed that the reason he commenced business at this particular time was because in 1865 the American Civil War ended, and the intention was to cater for the American market.
The site of the original factory was at Cobridge, situated between Rushton Road and Elm Street. It was called the Villa Pottery. Unfortunately, it is now demolished. It is believed that some 100 to 133 people were employed.
Questions/comments? email: Steve Birks